Oh, Carl’s Jr., you cruel eatery. Your food is so disgusting, but man do I love me a western bacon cheeseburger. What to do? Well, make it myself! Duh! I played around with the approach a little and found, as is frequently the case, the trick to really yummy comfort food, is it’s all about ingredients. So, here is the junk food-loving, spousal unit approved, do it yourself version of this addictive burger.
Western Turkey Bacon Cheeseburgers
- 1 package Jennie O (or other brand) pre-prepped Turkey Burger Patties (there are options that are pre-seasoned. It’s your choice.)
- 1 package Orowheat Onion Hamburger Buns (If you have another brand you like, cool. I have just found these to be moist, fluffy, and flavorful.)
- 1/2 package of the best, thick cut bacon you can afford (*Don’t be cheap alert)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thickly
- Large pieces of iceberg lettuce
- Slices of cheddar cheese (regular or skim)
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, sliced thickly
- Salt, to taste
- Bbq Sauce – Famous Dave’s Devil’s Spit if you are a spicy-heat fanatic, otherwise just go with your favorite.
- Mini Dill Pickles, to serve on the side
- Fry your bacon in a cast iron skillet and drain on paper towels to absorb the grease.
- Grill your turkey burger patties to about 160 degrees. DO NOT press the meat as it cooks, you lose all the juice. Just leave it alone. You can rock an indoor electric grill or an outdoor grill. Whichever you prefer.
- Top with cheese as the meat rests, NOT while it’s cooking. The cheese scorches if you top while cooking.
- Toast your onion buns lightly, face down, either on the grill or in a toaster oven.
Once your ingredients are all prepped, just start assembly:
- Spread a little Bbq sauce on the bottom and top buns. You can add a little mayo to the bottom bun if you like.
- Layer the lettuce, then patties, then bacon, onion, and tomato, and top with bun.
Serve with a side of dill pickles. You can add chips, potato salad, any picnic-type side really. No drive through necessary; you will be chowing down in 20 minutes!