The summer continues and so do my experiments with burgers. Today I made a low-carb Greek burger with homemade tzaziki sauce and it was quite yummy.
Greek Turkey Burgers
- 16 oz ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 oz – 3 oz crumbled feta cheese, depending on how strong you want the feta flavor
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Thick slices of beefsteak tomato, cucumbers, leafy lettuce, and red onion for serving.
- Combine the ground turkey, onion, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs together in a medium-sized bowl. Use your fingers and mix well.
- Fold in your feta cheese crumbles and mix well.
- Finally fold in your spices. Mix well and form into 4 equally sized patties. Set aside.
- Heat up your griddle and brush with a little olive oil.
- Grill the patties for about 4 minutes on each side, or until the patties reach 160 degrees internally. Transfer to a plate and let rest for a couple minutes.
Quick Tzaziki Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 half cucumber, diced
- 1 large roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all your ingredients except the salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add in about 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper and taste.
Note: Tzaziki isn’t meant to be salty, it should taste refreshing. This recipe is by no means a traditional sauce, but it’ll get you the majority of that flavor and it’s quick and easy to prep. Some traditional tzaziki sauces can be very garlic-y and if you like that, add in another fresh garlic clove or add a pinch of garlic powder.
If you are serving this low-carb, arrange the patties on a bed of leafy lettuce and layer on the sauce. Top with a little more feta, if desired. You can serve with thick slices of tomato, red onion, and cucumber dusted with salt and pepper and a dollop of hummus for dipping. I make my sauces with the veggies and toppings basically folded in so you don’t need to add those extra veggies if you don’t want to. The flavors are all there.